Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Different than an apple



I needed some teacher gifts asap. I hate gifting blindly, as in not knowing much about the recipient. As I moped around the craft store, dissappointed in settling on two matching generic gift, I remembered that I did know that his main teacher likes to cook and incorporates that into her lessons often. Then, I wondered around the store some more trying to think of how to use this remembered knowledge. Stumbling upon this double quilted chili fabric made it click - potholders. They are teflon fabric lined.

I added the handle covers since I have been needing to make some for my own kitchen. Also teflon fabric lined.

I purchased 1/2 a yard of the cotton and 1/3 yard of the teflon.
I then cut out four 9" squares and four 9"x4.5" rectangles from the cotton. Next I cut out four 9" square from the teflon. I finished the edge of the rectangles with 7/8" ribbon used as a binding. Then I sandwiched the front, hanging tag, pocket flap, and teflon. Stitched, turned, and top stitched. FIN.
For the handle covers, I improvised a pattern from my cast iron pan handle, cut out fronts and backs and matching teflon linings.

Easy and hopefully well liked.

No comments: